Making Pizzelles with Mom
If you’re interested in the recipe, it is as follows. The yield is anywhere from 4-5 dozen, depending upon the size of the pizzelles used.
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (288g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220g) margarine, cooled (must be cooled)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vanilla extract (or anise)
- 3 1/2 cups (348g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons (15g) baking powder
- Gradually beat sugar into eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add margarine and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Gradually add to sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Drop by spoonful onto center of hot pizzelle iron. (If pizzelle iron is not nonstick, it will require a light brush of oil.) Bake for 22 seconds or until mixture no longer steams.
- Remove pizzelle with a fork onto a wire rack or wax paper to cool.
Pop stores the cooled pizzelles in a shoe box lined with paper towels. His son, Tony, sends Pop plenty of new sneakers so there are always pizzelle boxes!
Here’s a link to buy the pizzelle iron Mary uses: Chef’s Choice 834 Pizzelle Pro